“I’m taking some time out for Wellness and Self-Care.”
Just read that sentence on t’internet- and frankly… it gives me nits.
Well, maybe not actual nits but makes me want to tear my hair out all the same.
What I possibly struggle to articulate
(because it sends me down all the detailed rabbit holes to prove the point)
is that those are not Separate Things.
How you live has to have those things woven into the fabric.
Those things aren’t the extras, and they largely don’t involve candles and bubble baths.
I mean they absolutely can – I am all over that shit, but those are the fluffy (albeit fragrant) little extras.
- IF… you are taking your children to 5 separate clubs between them and not having time to eat dinner yourself.
- IF… you are staying up to 1am getting work finished OR finding yourself slack-jawedly scrolling, or Netflix binging (but struggle to get out of bed in the morning)
- IF… you calculated your ‘per visit’ gym membership to about £50 a pop.
- IF… you went back to Tesco Express three times this week just to ‘grab something quick’, and the Deliveroo man is planning your Christmas present.
- IF… you are run off your feet, getting nothing done
- IF… you are not enjoying what you do very much anymore
- IF… you feel more frustrated than elated
- IF… you can’t remember the last time you woke up – not knackered
- IF… you have stuff you need to say, and don’t say it
- IF… you need to make changes but don’t have the courage
- IF… no one is listening
- IF… you don’t know what to do
- IF… you don’t know what you WANT to do
- IF… it feels relentless
Then no amount of bath oil or motivational quotes are going to make the difference.
Life is going to come at you.
Sometimes like a Zombie invasion
(hopefully not an actual zombie invasion but since 2020 I wouldn’t be that surprised)
You being well, means controlling the controllables.
It means systems.
It means planning.
It means not ‘carving out time’ but stoically guarding your fair share of it.
It means the solid knowledge of who you are, what you stand for; what you will and won’t put up with.
It sometimes means dropping bombshells and bracing yourself for the fallout (which is never as bad as you think)
Breathing techniques are amazingly useful (I know, I’ve recorded a heap of them, and they are awesome although I say it myself)…
but once you’ve caught your breath – what then?
You being well isn’t tinkering at the edges.
It’s drilling down to the core.
Caring for yourself isn’t something to schedule for a Tuesday evening at 8:30 at the village hall.
It should be coursing through your veins so the world sees that’s how you deserve to be treated.
There are too many f*cking glorious, brilliant, caring people out there, working themselves into the ground that have no idea how incredible they are.
I just wanted to remind you.
Yes, wellness, yes self-care… but as a default.
p.s. If you want help with this stuff – we can help.
Also – we are quite funny, so it takes the edge off.
Have a look ^